The Swampscott Yacht Club is located in the Fish House on Fisherman's Beach, the only municipal fish house on the East Coast. The SYC is a volunteer club founded in 1933 for the purpose of promoting yachting and sailboat racing in Nahant Bay.
Long known as a seafaring fishing village, Swampscott hosted a large commercial fishing fleet which sailed daily from it's protected bay. Swampscott reached worldwide status as the place where Ebenezer Thorndike invented the lobster pot in 1808 to revolutionize lobster harvesting. Also, The Swampscott Dory, a fishing boat still in use throughout the world today, was invented in 1840 by Ralfus Brackett.
A rare Calico lobster caught recently in Swampscott.
Switch to our mobile site